Friday, September 17, 2010

Turning the Mundane into Something Special

Sometimes the ordinary may be made compelling. At the last full moon I strolled down to Matthews Beach, which is a Seattle city park on the western shore of Lake Washington, not far from my home.  Like many city parks, Matthews Beach gets its grass mowed periodically, has some nice trees, and is popular for picnics in the summertime, but it is hardly a scenic wonderland.  Nevertheless, armed with my tripod and a telephoto lens, I marched down there to photograph the moon rising over the Cascades in the east. Compositional elements being rather scarce, I was forced to choose between a drab but tall lifeguard's chair, and some tree or other to provide foreground interest; I chose the chair. The simple elements combine, I think, to produce an interesting image.

                               Full moon over Matthews Beach, Seattle



1 comment:

  1. Cool. I've been to Matthews Beach several times but never in the moonlight!

    ReplyDelete

  Long Beach Peninsula/Cape Disappointment, Washington Cape Disappointment Lighthouse at twilight Beards Hollow Beach North Head Light Dead ...